Tuesday 11 June 2013

My National Service Confession: RE: The Truth about NSF Clerks

Hey, a serious post that I want to follow up further after Derick Shared about NSF Clerks.

Now Combatants, don't you dare laugh and hear me out, people who weren't in my shoes as a clerk. My office is such that I have a tonne of ME3s and ME2s all around the place going in and out. Having worked as a clerk and survived I can safely share with you my story.

Yes, people do tell me:

'WAH, PES E lar, so lucky!!!!!'

Ha, don't just assume. Hell, later I realized but when you're solely relied on most of the work in the entire unit, I can safely say:

'This shit stinks.... a lot.'

Let me tell you a matter-of-factly. Day after day, when you report to your superiors (e.g your boss / CO, Chief clerk, Sergeant Majors), you're under constant scrutiny under the watchful eyes of these people and many others higher ranked than you. It holds especially true at a HQ level, because you have a tonne of Sergeant Majors, COs from other units you don't know, high ranking personnel coming in and out of the office. If you're an infantry man, you always have a chance to like do some R & R, I mean real solid R & R.

So don't assume:

"This is how the clerks work; eh they got nothing to do, everyday eat and sleep you know." 
Now let me prove to you that you are so darn wrong.

Now there's bound to have people and regulars that always feel (how to say...) very dulan with clerks. And I said earlier you're in constant scrutiny; but if you do your fair share of work, many are bound to like you for what you do but there are some exceptions.

I seriously have no idea why you should ever have issues with clerks. There was like one ME 2 that appears to want to pick a fight with me despite me not bearing any ill feelings to him. Hell, I never even talk with him then he just lagi reports me to chief clerk. Both Myself and Chief Clerk was like.... WTF? She knows that I just arrived and I don't even know nuts about the personnel here.

C'mon douche bag. I just arrived to this unit and I have not done anything to offend you. Yet you straightaway from the get-go have issues with me.' And after he left the unit, I was so flipping glad. You think that promoted from an ME1 to ME2 means that you can act very big is it? I don't see why such a scumbag still exists one way or another.

Come on, let me tell you this right here and right now.

Everybody here has a responsibility, even the clerks do, the non-chao keng ones la obviously. And in sometimes a 'black sheep' will be targeted as the actual beast of burden. Such people or (let me use this term yet again:) The Ultimate Unsung Heroes in every unit are your building blocks of your day to day operations throughout their existence.

In truth, I was one of those poor black sheep. Transport Matters, general administrative matters, rostering for 2 National Day Parades and other projects / events, and even being the personal assistant of the regimental Sergeant Major at the unit there. Most times I'm like the only one in the office, on time and on target, from Bedok to Yishun. I worked day after day, rain or shine; falling sick I still worked because I couldn't afford to let go of my already piled on duties due to the massive job scope I was already involved in.

Now you explain to me; in view of all this, how do you expect me to stay at home even while I'm sick? HOW CAN?! Even there was one time somebody needed some important stuff and I had to literally rush back to camp like 30 clicks north from the clinic despite the fact that I was under medical leave, only then I was able to rest.

2-way cab man, oh shit....the damage to my wallet within a few hours.

I prayed real hard in and out of Church during these two years that I'll make it out alive and not explode at the officers and the SMs because I was suffering a lot, and growing angry. However I literally did explode once while during a tonne of shit, telling off every single one in the office to leave me be, including CO and RSM because I was already undergoing a tonne of stress, causing an emotional breakdown. Well, they did, and I earned myself some respite and much needed time to calm myself down. To step up a notch, I placed a sign to keep my disturbances to a minimal, on my computer. Some did apologize to me, but that wasn't enough to satisfy me for all the stuff that I did.

My honest truth is that I did more than my fair share, earned more than enough of my keep but almost nobody among my colleagues save a few was sharing the same suffering as I did. And as if being the most heavily relied on isn't enough that my absence would almost literally mean the collapse of my unit, being paid a measly minute $550 bucks for doing a HQ's worth of Jobs isn't justified. I know that some people earn money staying at home, taking long term MCs; people saying and noticing some of my colleagues just go on a hiatus leaving a few poor things to do their work. And even after I left, many don't really thank me for all this stuff that literally kept the office running.

You infantry man have those $3,000 Cash Bonus Cycles. You have 3 Cycles, the PES E Clerks only have 1.

So don't you dare laugh, Combatants. Even clerks have been at the receiving end of the nastiest of all things.

No comments: